How to Breakup with SomeoneMaria Bettina
February 27, 2023
Breakups are challenging. Obviously, if you're the one being dumped it fucking sucks and feels embarrassing. On the other hand, if you're the one doing the dumping this also comes with its own set of challenges. Here are some tips to help:
- Don't break up with someone when they are doing an exam. I've had this happen to me before, and clearly I'm not salty about it at all! But the bottom line is don't interfere with someone's academic exams. That's a douche move.
- Don't just ghost them hoping that they will get the hint.
- Do not break up with someone over text or the phone (unless you are doing this for personal safety reasons).
- Make sure you know why you want to break up. Remember, that it is entirely okay to want to break up!
- Be thoughtful towards the over person, and think about how you will present the breakup.
- Do not try to make the other person feel better. Once the relationship has ended it is not your responsibility to try to comfort the other person, this may make things worse and more complicated for both of you.
- Don't swear at the other person whilst breaking up.
- Set boundaries.
- Acknowledge that you won't be able to control how they will react, so be prepared.
- Allow yourself to feel how you want to feel.
- Realise and reinforce why you are breaking up.
- Spend some time alone. We all know those people who immediately jump into another relationship. Don't be that person, you gotta know how to be alone. You should only start dating again when you are excited about another person.
- Make sure you're sober. Alcohol ain't gonna make this situation better.
- Don't wear a shirt that says it's you, not me.
- Accept the fact that it's going to be awkward as hell.
- Don't accuse the other person, say how you feel.
- Be direct with them.
- Don't go into too many details, and keep focused.
- Listen to the other person and be empathetic whilst setting boundaries.
- Think about reducing contact, as this makes healing easier for both of you.
- Leave if they get aggressive or rude. You don't wanna deal with that, it's not your job.
The information provided by Freyja is for general information purposes only. All information on the site is provided in good faith, however, we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information on the site. Under no circumstances shall we have any liability to you for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the site or reliance on any information provided on the site. Your use of the site and your reliance on any information on the site is solely at your own risk.
This website does not provide medical advice. The information provides by Freyja is for general information purposes only. Under no circumstances shall we have any liability for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the site or reliance on any information provided on the site. Your use of the site and your reliance on any information on the site is solely at your own risk. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek advice from a medical professional, and never delay in seeking any medical advice because of something you have read on this website.
The site may contain (or you may be sent through the site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness by us. We do not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of any information offered by third-party websites linked through the site or any website or feature. We will not be a party to or in a way be responsible for monitoring any transaction between you and third-party providers of products or services.
The site cannot and does not contain fitness advice. The fitness information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. We do not provide any kind of fitness advice. The use or reliance of any information contained on the site is solely at your own risk.