Postpartum Sex AdviceFreyja
February 27, 2023
Postpartum sex advice
Postpartum sex can be a challenge. You're sleep deprived and your body is recovering, and trying to get back into the 'mood' may not be the highest priority. In addition, even though you may feel mentally ready to have sex (or not) your body may take longer to catch up with you. Postpartum sex feels different for everyone, it can be slightly painful, pain free or uncomfortable. You may feel slightly drier than normal if you've had a vaginal delivery. However, there's lots of things you can do to ease yourself back in.
Here are some tips and advice on postpartum sex, to help get you started:
- First things first, don't have sex till you've been given the green light. If you've had a vaginal delivery it can take around six weeks to heal. So, you wan't to make sure that all of the postpartum bleeding has stopped before you get back to your sex life. If you've had a c-section, the waiting period still applies!
- You don't have to have sex until you're ready. Take it at your own speed.
- Set low expectations. It's probably not going to be like a porn movie. So, keep your expectations low, you may have to stop and start. It will take some time to get back on the saddle ... literally.
- Remember that it will get better! Just like the first time you ever had sex, this will also get better. So, trust in that and keep going. It just takes some time and some communication.
- Focus on foreplay.
- Use lots of lube. Dryness is very common after giving birth, especially if you are breastfeeding.
- Start slowly.
- Communicate. Communication is key. Let your partner know how it feels, and if anything hurts. If it's painful, don't feel like you have to keep going. There's no reason to feel guilty or pressured to keep going.
- Don't force it. If you don't want to have sex, then don't have sex. Do whatever is best for you and your body.
- Try wearing a bra if your breasts are sore.
- Try different positions! Some positions might not feel that great, whereas others may feel more comfortable. So, play around a bit and see what suits you the most.
The information provided by Freyja is for general information purposes only. All information on the site is provided in good faith, however, we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of any information on the site. Under no circumstances shall we have any liability to you for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the site or reliance on any information provided on the site. Your use of the site and your reliance on any information on the site is solely at your own risk.
This website does not provide medical advice. The information provides by Freyja is for general information purposes only. Under no circumstances shall we have any liability for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the site or reliance on any information provided on the site. Your use of the site and your reliance on any information on the site is solely at your own risk. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek advice from a medical professional, and never delay in seeking any medical advice because of something you have read on this website.
The site may contain (or you may be sent through the site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness by us. We do not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for the accuracy or reliability of any information offered by third-party websites linked through the site or any website or feature. We will not be a party to or in a way be responsible for monitoring any transaction between you and third-party providers of products or services.
The site cannot and does not contain fitness advice. The fitness information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the appropriate professionals. We do not provide any kind of fitness advice. The use or reliance of any information contained on the site is solely at your own risk.